Introduction from Bernie Morley
Chair of Governors
Chair of Governors and Trustees
This is just a quick note to introduce myself. I am the Chair of Governors for The Corsham School and the Chair of Trustees for The Corsham School Multi Academy Group. The Corsham School is part of The Corsham School Academy Group, which consists of The Corsham School and Corsham Regis Primary Academy. There is a board of trustees for the Academy Group and each school then has its own Local Governing Body formed from Appointed, Parent, Co-Opted and Staff Governors that oversees the work of both schools through various committees and working groups.
I’d like to take this opportunity to thank the team - all of the governors are volunteers who generously give their time for no reward other than, hopefully, seeing a job well done. Please feel free to approach me at any time (all governors and trustees are recognisable by our black Governor lanyards) either via the school office or directly at a school event if you have anything you would like to discuss.
If you would like to contact the Governing Body then please email our Clerk, Michelle Hocking at: firstname.lastname@example.org
What does the Governing Body do?
Part of the school Governing Body's responsibilities are to:
- promote high standards of educational attainment
- agree the School Improvement Plan
- set an annual budget detailing planned spending
- approve a staffing structure
- make sure that the curriculum is balanced and broadly based, in particular that the National Curriculum and Religious Education are taught, and report on students' achievement in National Curriculum assessments and examination results
- draw up an action plan following an Ofsted (Office for Standards in Education) report
- produce policies on a number of issues including Sex Education, S.E.N
- appoint staff, ensuring the implementation of a range of personnel procedures
- secure high levels of attendance and good standards of student behaviour
- ensure the health & safety of students and staff
- develop the strategic plan for the school, acting as a critical friend and ensuring accountability
- deal with complaints against the school
Basically, governors oversee the work of the school and make sure it provides a good quality education for its students. Governors work in partnership with the Headteacher and staff.